Monday, February 23, 2015

Workshop Description and Material List for the Angel Shrine Doll

Angel Shrine Doll Workshop Description 

The inspiration for creating a OOAK angel shrine doll came from a children’s bereavement workshop that I attended years ago, while living in Vermont  The instructor introduced us to the concept of creating a “memory box.”  A simple “house” ( that will become the doll body) filled with small objects that carry special significance and meaning.  I have incorporated that concept into creating an angel shrine doll.  This workshop will allow you to integrate your own found object into a personal expression of your faith or life journey.  I encourage you to look for the perfect "house" at a flea market, resale shop, thrift store, or yard sale! 

Each doll will be uniquely different... not only because you are unique, but also because each “house” used to create the angel shrine doll body will be one-of-a-kind.  I have chosen a flea market find, a vintage craftsman style mantle clock, for my shrine doll. In this workshop we will sculpt a doll head using paper clay, attach wood turnings/finial arms, wooden wings, and then apply vintage or decorative papers, acrylic paints, and other mediums to the “house”– creating a OOAK shrine. 

You will be encouraged to introduce meaningful ephemera and use personal memorabilia, while allowing your imagination to run free… throughout the creative process! 


4 comments:

  1. Getting a little bit excited now! I've downloaded the supply list and will now set about finding it all! Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so surprised and delighted to see your post with news of your upcoming workshop. This is really a beautiful thing to offer this. I am excited and would love to be part of it. Is there anything I should do to sign up? Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am really looking forward to this. I have never worked with wood so I have a few questions. Will I need a drill or a saw? What are wood finials? I can't wait to start.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marcella… All of the workshop videos will be posted right here on my blog… free to enjoy! If you choose to work with wood you will need a saw and drill; BUT you can choose to work with heavy card stock or "grunge board" (found on the internet). If you decide to work with card stock or grunge board you will NOT need a saw or drill.
    Wood "finials" are just wood turnings… also called "wood craft turnings." They can be found at most craft stores or also on-line, the internet. I'm so glad that you're excited about the workshop!

    ReplyDelete